Friday, January 9, 2009

Circle


Human beings are animals of rules. Without rules, we don't know what to expect from others. We wouldn't know how to behave. Same goes for relationships. We "tag" or "label" our relationships, "he is my so-and-so", "she was my so-and-so".... so that when we hear those labels, we'd know how to react, what to expect, or how to criticize. It's a tool to put some sort of order in an otherwise chaotic world. We are used to rules. We feel sorta comfortable as long as we know some rules have been laid.

The funny things is .... labelling relationships create a false sense or order. He is my "husband", that's why I should tell him everything about myself. She is my "girl-friend", that's why when we spend time together, we should be happier than the next pair who are "exes". But do these labels really reflect the truth?

The older I get, labelling relationships becomes more and more futile. There is no guide book for human relationships. Following rules takes away what one feels inside his or her heart. Rules actually create anguish, false expectations and stress. Rules make humans less human.

A tragic incident happened to me three and a half years ago made me realize the best relationships are the ones with no labels. Those relationships rely totally on our instincts. Don't follow guidebooks, just what's inside our hearts. These are the "organic" relationships. They are 100% natural. Whether they work or they don't work. We embrace them with no hard feelings, no regrets.

1 comment: