Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Floating Into Habana

2009 has been an emotional charged year so far. ....

DonnM, my immensely talented painter friend, dropped by Monday evening and offered me his latest work as a souvenir from him. It's a four-part panel painting of a very personal perspective of Havana, the city that captured both his fascination and his heart. 

Hovering in mid-air...(try this).....it's all silent.....but you can start to smell the city air as you descend, in slow-motion, through the atmosphere .... through the clouds ..... through the smog .......then through the sheer fabric hanging on the clothes-lines.....and finally floating into the the streets where people live, play dominoes, and dance... in Havana

The minute I saw the first panel, I already felt the seduction....it's an invitation to enter the Havana in the artist's world.

One moment it feels like the painter is a little boy who wants to show you a secret passage that he has discovered. In another moment... I get the feeling that I am getting too deep into an unknown world ........ I can't explain it, but I was fascinated by this painting....

Now I think I can tell you how I feel about it......It's the opening shot of a thriller .... it's an opening shot of a god-damned Film Noir Thriller!! ....... my friend has sub-consciously set the stage for a brand new Film-Noir thriller in which, except the femme fatale, none of the good guys or bad guys has been cast! .....it's an adventure you have to participate if you want to know what happens next.....Brilliant!!

I asked my friend what I had done to deserve this amazing gift? He told me it's because I helped him get thru the New Year and it was the first painting he has done in 2009.... the strangest thing was that I actually felt kinda proud of accepting it. It's my way of saying "not only will we get thru 2009, we'll get thru 2010, 2011, 2012...." It's survivors' talk. 

Thank You For Taking Me Along On The Ride Sir.....





No comments:

Post a Comment